Sunday, March 29, 2015

To the Moon and Back

I first said I loved Sophia a few minutes after giving birth. 
I turned to my own Mother and said, "I love her Mom". 
She smiled at me and said, "I know".

Most days I alternate between telling Sophia, "I love you so much" and "I'm grateful you're my daughter". 

Brittany, one of Sophia's caregivers and a dear friend of ours, started using the phrase, "I love you to the Moon and back".

First she taught Sophia the motions, as she has helped her learn many of the sign language words she still uses.


I began asking Sophia how much I loved her, to make sure she was getting the message and she would respond: "MoonBack". "MoonBack" then appeared in Sympathy and Valentine's Day cards from grown ups who knew about this shortened version of a phrase which essentially means 'I love you beyond the limits that I can perceive'.

Then one day while I was at work, Brittany sent me this wonderful gift:


Until Sophia learns the words, "I love you", this will serve as more than enough.

We love you MoonBack Sophia Gayle.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Little J-Man Turns 5!

Dear J-Man, Happy 5th Birthday! Does this make you a BIG kid?  You love bouncing off the  walls, just like your favorite superhero, Spider-M...