Sunday, December 17, 2017

Why Christmas?



Dear Sophia,

I told your four year old self that Santa Claus wasn't real and you didn't believe me.

You told me that wasn't true because you had seen him, and I love that about you.

I love your determination and belief in what you have seen despite even your Mama saying otherwise. 

As you look up at me with bright eyes, head adorned with tinseled garland, and wings peeking over your shoulders, I think about my prayer for what Christmas will someday mean to you. 



May you carry hope in your heart, even if others tell you there is no reason for it. 

May you foster peace, even if it disrupts the peace in your own life.


With each Christmas that you celebrate, may you continue to both experience and spread joy. Not a fleeting happiness based on circumstance, but a deep joy rooted in faith. 


And may you extend love to everyone, including those others have deemed unlovable, or the ones you sometimes find it the hardest to love.

Be generous with this love out of gratitude that there is nothing you can do to matter more or less to the one who loves you the most, the One that we celebrate at Christmas.



With hope, peace, joy, and love,

Mama

No comments:

Post a Comment

Little J-Man Turns 5!

Dear J-Man, Happy 5th Birthday! Does this make you a BIG kid?  You love bouncing off the  walls, just like your favorite superhero, Spider-M...