Sunday, September 22, 2013

Months, Not Weeks


Dear Sophia,

I suddenly realized that I had stopped counting your life in weeks and had converted to months.

When people would smile at you in the grocery store and ask how old you were, I would respond, "Fifteen weeks!" And they would quickly do the math to figure out that you were almost four months old. 

For as long as I have known of your existence I have been counting in weeks. I was 14 weeks pregnant and we had made it to the second trimester. I was 24 weeks and very relieved that if anything went wrong the doctors would likely be able to sustain your life.

During the final stages of my labor with you I would have liked to count in seconds or even hours, but there was no way of knowing this. Fortunately at that point it wasn't weeks or even days before I got to meet you.

You are four months old today. For the first time I switched out all of your clothes to the next size up. I loved how they had looked like doll clothes when I hung them on the line. I loved that someone small enough to actually fit in those clothes lived in our home. 

So now we will count in months instead of weeks, and some day we will swap out the months for years. Thank you Sophia for all of the weeks that have become months.

We look forward to loving you for all of our years,

Your Mama

No comments:

Post a Comment

Little J-Man Turns 5!

Dear J-Man, Happy 5th Birthday! Does this make you a BIG kid?  You love bouncing off the  walls, just like your favorite superhero, Spider-M...