Sunday, September 1, 2013

Family Firsts: First Fair

While I was still pregnant, I was planning a trip to the Marshfield fair with my then to be three month old.

Ever since we moved to the south shore about five years ago, I have wanted to go.

Joshua was away on his first business trip since Sophia's birth to Florida, so we decided to have a sleep over with our dear friend and Marshfield local, Hazel. 


The beauty of Hazel's home and the warmth of her hospitality made it feel like we were staying at a bed and breakfast. Fresh flowers from her garden and homemade waffles graced the breakfast table.



I learned that the fair had been in existence since 1867. About a century later Hazel went as a little girl. She made friends quickly at our first stop in the barns.


I was a part of a 4-H club when I was younger, but didn't live very close to a rural environment. Instead my 4-H club focus was 'microwave cooking'.


I think it would be wonderful if Sophia has an opportunity to have an experience like these girls.


Clearly Sophia and I weren't the only mother daughter pairing at the fair.....


....and Sophia wasn't the youngest one there by far.


As has been common of much of her three month existence thus far, Sophia slept through most of the fair until we stopped at a booth selling baked potatoes stuffed with broccoli and cheese for lunch, followed by ice cream. While she has been known to wake for food,she seemed unsure of this fair business.


Our last stop was the agricultural exhibits.


Hazel is a master gardener and has won many first place ribbons for entries she has made to the fair.


Sophia was asleep again by the end of our trip. Perhaps next year, the ability to actually pet a cow and eat some fair food will be enough incentive to stay awake.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Little J-Man Turns 5!

Dear J-Man, Happy 5th Birthday! Does this make you a BIG kid?  You love bouncing off the  walls, just like your favorite superhero, Spider-M...