Sunday, November 3, 2013

Rookie Parents




Dear Sophia,

Right now you seem to think your Dad and I are the moon and the stars. We are big fans of you as well, but I have a secret to share with you....You will probably have figured this out by the time you read this......Your Parents are VERY HUMAN and IMPERFECT.

There have been many times in these first few months where I say to you out loud, "Thank you for being patient with Mama". There will be many times when we need to tell you, "I'm sorry, I was wrong". We will model bad behaviors and say words we wish we could take back. I promise you that we will try to be good and I can also promise you that sometimes we will fail.

There was the time I was changing your clothes and nicked your brand new baby skin with my fingernail. You started to cry and so did I.

There was the time I was trying to teach you how to use a bottle and in my zealousness you ended up covered in spit up milk and I had a pool of it on my lap dripping on to the carpet.

There was the time when you road home in just a diaper and a burp cloth wrapped around your middle because we forgot to bring an extra set of clothes. 

And when you need a burp cloth, we pretty much never have one on us.

Your Dad and I often smile at each other and say 'rookie parents'.

Sophia, just as you are learning to be a human, we are learning for the first time how to be parents. But I have another secret to share with you....we are still learning how to be humans as well.

So my sweet girl, when you get frustrated with your parents, other people, or yourself, remember that we are all still learning. As your parents, we will try to remember that as well, and only expect that with God's grace you will try to be the best Sophia Gayle that you can be.

With all of our imperfect love,

Mom and Dad

No comments:

Post a Comment

Little J-Man Turns 5!

Dear J-Man, Happy 5th Birthday! Does this make you a BIG kid?  You love bouncing off the  walls, just like your favorite superhero, Spider-M...