Sunday, February 9, 2014

Made To Be As You Are



Dear Sophia,

You have my feet. Your face looks mostly like your Dad...but that gap between your big toe and the next came from me.

When I look at all your pieces....your feet....belly...nose, I never think, "If only this part was different". And I already wish for you that you could always feel the same way. 

Partly this will be up to me...how I talk about my own body and ...what I define as beautiful. But there will also be a very powerful societal surge out there that will lie to you. It will try to convince you that physical looks are most important, and may even tell you that yours don't fit the 'right' mold.

There is nothing wrong with painting your face or dying your hair (mine was purple when I was thirteen), but I hope you always know that you were created to be so much more than an ornament.

Sophia, I will tell you all of your life how God intentionally put you together and made no mistakes. Those who did not create you may have opinions about parts of you they think are too big... or too small. Opinions can feel hurtful, but that does not mean these are mistakes. 

You yourself may someday say, "I wish this or that was different". Whenever you feel like this baby girl, remember that God gave you toes that are long enough to pick things up with (I will teach you how someday), as well as ears that can hear, and eyes that can see.

And if those toes should fall off, as well as an eye and a ear, I would tell you how many people still love you regardless. And I would also tell you that those people were the ones to hold onto in the first place anyhow.  

I hope you eventually have lots of wrinkles around your eyes from smiling often. And if someday you ask me why my tummy sags in the middle, I will tell you it was once filled with a growing you, and how you were worth much more than a flat belly ever could be.

Much love,
Your Mama

1 comment:

Little J-Man Turns 5!

Dear J-Man, Happy 5th Birthday! Does this make you a BIG kid?  You love bouncing off the  walls, just like your favorite superhero, Spider-M...