Sunday, May 4, 2014

Extending Family

 One of the things I have enjoyed most about being a parent is watching my child form relationships with the people who have been significant to me throughout my life.

We recently visited our friend Lucile, who got down on the floor (disregarding her current status as an occupational and physical therapy patient) and presented Sophia with an array of toys.


Despite the great variety of colors and shapes, Sophia was most intrigued by Lucile's cane.


Coming from a small family, with the closest relatives living two hours away, friends who become family have played a large part in my life. Now we still live a distance from most of our relatives, but we are fortunate to consider the friends who take care of Sophia while I am at work family.

In addition to being a small family to start, my paternal grandmother Charlotte died about a year before her first grandchild was born. Two years later Gina became a companion to my grandfather and a grandmother to me. Charlotte's only child also died before he had the opportunity to become a grandfather. 

Similar to my experience, I am grateful that Sophia has my Mother's husband Ray to serve in the grandparent role.


I am often saddened that Sophia will never get to spend time with my Dad on this earth, but it is very clear that grandfathering is not biologically based.


As Sophia's family continues to extend, she is fortunate to belong to so many.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Little J-Man Turns 5!

Dear J-Man, Happy 5th Birthday! Does this make you a BIG kid?  You love bouncing off the  walls, just like your favorite superhero, Spider-M...