Sunday, February 26, 2017

Caribbean Night 2017





I have lived in the Northeast my entire life.
One of the many reasons I love it here are the four seasons. I would miss the snow and I would even miss the cooler temperatures. Having a birthday in February has also helped me to appreciate the month at the end of the winter season. However, once I'm past my birthday and several months of cold weather, I start to feel ready for warmer temperatures again.

Two Februarys ago Caribbean night began as an annual party for the four of us. We dance to steel drum music in the kitchen, make food inspired by the tropics, and head to the YMCA for a swim.

This year Sophia helped me make the entire menu from the children's cookbook her Aunt Becca gave her for Christmas. The dishes were:
Pineapple Slices with Basil Lime Dipping Sauce
Mango Chicken
Watermelon Granita
Coconut Rice Pudding
At the grocery store Sophia had also convinced me to buy the star fruit she spotted when we were picking out our pineapple. She and J weren't big fans of the taste so we used it as our decorative centerpiece.

Sophia was adventurous in the pool, practicing her swimming and even dunking her head. J was serene and in a rare state of weightlessness which my arms appreciated, even though he has been walking quite a bit lately!

As much fun as we had in the pool, Sophia seemed to enjoy the gym shower and hair dryer to the same extent. Winter helps me to appreciate the warmer weather, and living with someone who is thrilled by gym showers helps me to appreciate just about everything else. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Little J-Man Turns 5!

Dear J-Man, Happy 5th Birthday! Does this make you a BIG kid?  You love bouncing off the  walls, just like your favorite superhero, Spider-M...