Sunday, February 11, 2018

How to Swim

I love the confidence in these eyes and I admire her boldness.


This picture was taken right before her first swim lesson.
We were avoiding them because they cost money, and you have to commit to being in a certain place at a certain time (though there are worse places than an indoor pool in February) and we are attempting to avoid overscheduling a four year old.


When we realized learning to swim might not "just happen" (as we had hoped), and given that my two childhood goals for her are 'learning to ride a bike' and 'learning how to swim', we decided it was time. 


As soon as she and her fellow learner entered the pool, I watched the teacher skillfully employ techniques that would have never occurred to me. "Simon says, put your toes in the water", "Now, Simon says put your nose in the water".


I was filled with gratitude for this person gently encouraging my daughter. 
I was thankful that I could trust her to keep my baby safe in deep water.


I sat on the sidelines watching awkward efforts to coordinate arms and legs, water splashing in her patient teacher's face and reminisced about first steps that turned into somersaults. 


And I marveled at my front row seat, celebrating an increased confidence in the water and glad to be the one to wrap her in a towel afterwards.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Little J-Man Turns 5!

Dear J-Man, Happy 5th Birthday! Does this make you a BIG kid?  You love bouncing off the  walls, just like your favorite superhero, Spider-M...