Sunday, June 9, 2013

Archambault Arrival

Our baby was due on May 18th. My last day of work was the 17th, and I was hopeful that not too many days of maternity leave would pass without my actually being able to spend them with the baby. I knew statistically speaking there was a good chance I would deliver later than my due date. Still, beginning at about 37 weeks pregnant, I enjoyed getting up every morning and thinking, 'today could be THE day!'. Despite this, I never wished for her to come sooner. I loved having her with me all the time and feeling her movements. Aside from some puffy feet and heartburn, the third trimester of pregnancy was kind to me.


I had an appointment with my Obstetrician on the due date, where I learned that I was 1 cm dilated and 60% effaced. She performed a membrane sweep, informing me that it would only encourage the baby's arrival if she was ready to be born. I very much was hoping for a baby selected arrival date. My Mom flew into town that afternoon and the next three days were filled with special Mother-daughter moments complete with pedicures.

The following Tuesday we were back at the Obstetrician's office. During an ultrasound I learned that our previously anticipated 7 pound baby, was now measuring at almost 9 pounds! I guess she had been making good use of that extra cooking time. Upon exam, I was now 3 cm dilated and 75% effaced. My Doctor performed a second membrane sweep and sent us home. I was uncomfortable when I went to bed and by morning I knew I was in labor.

I ate a light breakfast to 'give me strength' (which I would see again just a few hours later). Then while listening to music and hugging a heat pack, Joshua and my Mom helped me to count contractions. At about 11:30 am, they were 5 minutes apart and we were in the car headed to the hospital. By the time we arrived I was feeling pretty uncomfortable and my Mom offered to see if she could get a wheelchair from the lobby. She was able to acquire the wheelchair, but all of a sudden there was an ambulance as well. This actually made me laugh because it would have taken longer to load me in the ambulance then it would to roll me to the front  door. Also, I was definitely not in need of an ambulance.

When I was evaluated at triage, I was 4 cm dilated and admitted. After attending her husband's "Teacher of the Year" ceremony and obtaining childcare for her own baby, my dear friend and professional doula (labor coach), Danielle, arrived just on time. She suggested we take a walk. This was a good idea to help labor progress, and aside from the vomiting and pain it was lovely.

Not too much later we checked in to my birthing room, which was huge and had a pool where I spent the majority of my labor continuing to listen to the mix of music I had made.


We met the nurse and attending physician. When they learned that I was hoping to deliver without medication/intervention, they left and only came by to conduct sporadic heart monitoring. I appreciated being free to move without the interference of IVs or the numbing of drugs, but will admit that the pain was greater than I had imagined. If I were to become pregnant again, I would like to labor without medications a second time, but have to say that there was grace in not knowing the extent of the pain going in.

When I transitioned from the pool back to the bed it was getting dark but I had no idea what time it was. From 7 to 9 1/2 cm, I kept saying "soon!" during contractions. I also asked Joshua, Danielle and my Mom if any of them would like to take a turn laboring. I remember thinking that the pain couldn't get much worse and then it would. I also remember thinking that the pain wouldn't kill me, and that I would just pass out if it became too much. When it came time to push, I began feeling discouraged. I felt spent after 12 hours of labor, and had the misconception that the baby would come out after pushing just a couple of times. I also wasn't motivated by the fact that the doctor at the base of the bed wasn't even looking in my direction. It didn't give me the sense that she felt catching a baby would be necessary any time soon. At 10:52 pm our daughter was born. She was held up to us so that Joshua and I could see that she was a girl and then laid on my chest.

Joshua cut the umbilical cord after it finished pulsating.
                                   

        After a very brief discussion to confirm from our final list of name choices, we introduced Sophia Gayle to the room. By midnight it was only the three of us to spend the next hour together.                        
                                     
The nurse came back to weigh Sophia and we finally checked in to what would be our room for the next three days at 3 am. We were clearly all exhausted, and Sophia's birthday gift to us was to sleep from midnight to 8 am the following night.

My Mom, who was staying at our house, finally got to hold Sophia Thursday morning. 

Thursday and Friday brought special visitors including the Southworth-Mahoney family, Carolyn and Glen, Aimee, Stan, Mary and Hazel. 

My phenomenal doctor who was unable to attend the birth, but had provided all of our prenatal care, also came to see us.

Saturday morning Sophia was dressed in a gown that read "God's Gift" from our Pastor and his Wife, and a sweater her Godmother had made for her.

We got back to the house at noon on Saturday.......

.......and were joined shortly by Sophia's grandparents and her Uncle James.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Little J-Man Turns 5!

Dear J-Man, Happy 5th Birthday! Does this make you a BIG kid?  You love bouncing off the  walls, just like your favorite superhero, Spider-M...