Sunday, June 23, 2013

What I want to teach her......




I was holding Sophia while she slept the other day, and an Amy Speace song I had never heard before came on the radio. 
As I listened to the lyrics, I thought this is what I want to teach her:

"Red sky ahead, of the morning sun
And I've heard it said, that's when trouble comes
Have been blown by this wind, and I know this eve
I've been out here before, it's not a map that I need

Show me how to fly in the starless sky
Help me to hold on when there's no guiding light
Teach me how to sleep, how to sleep in a stormy boat"

It made me think of Philippians 4:7, which says, "And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus." 
And of the story in Mark 4:35-41:
"A furious squall came up, and the waves broke over the boat, so that it was nearly swamped. Jesus was in the stern, sleeping on a cushion. The disciples woke him and said to him, “Teacher, don’t you care if we drown?” He got up, rebuked the wind and said to the waves, “Quiet! Be still!” Then the wind died down and it was completely calm."

As much as I want to, I realize I cannot protect her from everything hurtful in this world. As her Mama, the only way I can teach her to 'fly in the starless sky' or 'sleep in the stormy boat' is to guide her heart towards peace that surpasses understanding when she is in the midst of a storm.

"When I am afraid, I will trust in you." Psalm 56:3

1 comment:

Little J-Man Turns 5!

Dear J-Man, Happy 5th Birthday! Does this make you a BIG kid?  You love bouncing off the  walls, just like your favorite superhero, Spider-M...