Sunday, March 16, 2014

Guest Post from Gran: "They really can't do much at this age"


I asked my Mom's permission to share a recent letter she wrote Sophia. The picture above is the one referenced in the latter paragraphs.
My dearest angel,
I think of you all the time and have been wanting to send you another email that you will hopefully enjoy reading for yourself one day.  Now you are eight months old although we can hardly remember life without you.  One thing that is often said about you and your peer group is that you “can’t really do much at this age”.  The implication being that before you can move about on two legs or join a lengthy conversation, you can’t really do [much of what adults do].  But the Bible itself tells us that there is a time and a season for everything.  One might say that I’m biased, but I have seen MANY babies through my work as a social worker and personally with family and friends.  You were exceptional when I saw you at birth and I believe you always will be.
I will share just a few of my favorite moments in your life so far.  Unfortunately our visits are few as we live far apart with busy lives, but I’ll never forget the day that I walked up your front porch steps where you were nursing.  In spite of your joy in eating, you pulled away to look at me with the most amazing smiles and giggles.  I’ll never know whether it was truly because of a special bond we share or just your generous sharing of love and happiness that you give so freely.  I like to think it’s both.
Another amazing moment occurred at the end of a visit.  I will confess to a special fondness for baby feet.  Finally one day I learned that as we develop from the head down and the feet are the last to grow, that maybe that is why baby feet are so special to me—the last part to stay tiny.  I was in your room while you were on your changing table with those little feet.  Just as I was about to leave the room, you stretched your foot to me.  I laughed and kissed it and you did it two more times.  Again it definitely  looked like you were sharing joy in the best way you could with me, but “they” say people your age really can’t do much at this age.
Final thought for this post relates to one of your mother’s favorite photos of you.  When I saw it, it made me smile and laugh EVERY time [and there were many].  When I finally tore myself away from it, I found that I would only have to think of it and I would smile.  Well, one sad day I visited one of our friends who was so sick that she thought she’d die.  I went to see her as soon as we were allowed and she told me that sometimes she wondered if it was worth the energy and effort to continue.  I said that I had a reason for her to keep on fighting to stay alive and she said, “Do you have a new picture of Sophia?”  I unwrapped the picture and stood the frame up where she could see it.  She loved that Grandpa and I had come to see her, but she kept looking at your picture and saying how sweet you were.  She finally laughed and smiled, but “they” say people your age really can’t do very much.
Gran says you were a blessing on the day you arrived and always will be.
Much love,
Gran

No comments:

Post a Comment

Little J-Man Turns 5!

Dear J-Man, Happy 5th Birthday! Does this make you a BIG kid?  You love bouncing off the  walls, just like your favorite superhero, Spider-M...